Undoubtedly one of the most scenic treks in the Ladakh region, the Zanskar Valley Trek is an ultimate trek to experience not just the serenity of the valley but also to experience the raw culture and lifestyle of ladakhi people.
The trek offers a mix of wild life, ancient monasteries, and high passes along with a jeep safari driving from Leh to Kargil and then to Padum.
The trek will start from Padum. We will drive from Leh to Padum via Kargil. We will also get to explore the Alchi Monastery, the Lamayuru Monastery along with Mulbek as well as Suru Valley.
Day 1& 2: Land in Leh and acclimatize
Land into Leh and check into Hotel/Guest House. The first 2 days at Leh are meant for acclimatization. It is extremely important to let the body adjust to the high altitude. On the second day, we can explore the local market or can also go for a sightseeing tour covering monasteries like Thiksey and Shey along with Leh Palace.
Day 3: Drive to Kargil (5 Hour Drive)
We will drive to Kargil from Leh. The drive will take a little over 5 hours as we cover a distance of about 230 Kms. We will stay overnight in Kargil.
Day 4: Kargil to Padum (5 Hour Drive)
Post breakfast, we will drive to Padum from Kargil. We will be covering a distance of 240 Kms today in a span of 5.5 hours. Once in Padum, we will check into Homestay and relax.
Day 5: Padum to Karsha (Trek 3-4 Hours)
After breakfast, we will start our trek today to Karsha. We will cover a distance of approximately 12 Kms. We will also get to explore the Karsha Monastery (Gompa) and the Pepiting Monastery.
Day 6: Karsha to Pishu (Trek 5 Hours)
We will start our day at ease and continue the trail along the Zanskar River making our way to Pishu. It is quite a scenic trail and will take about 5 hours.
Day 7: Pishu to Hanumil (Trek 5 Hours)
Post breakfast, we will start our trek towards Hanumil today. Hanumil has a beautiful camping ground as well which is amazingly scenic. The trek today is fairly easy along the banks of Zanskar River.
Day 8: Hanumil to Purfi La to Snertse(Trek 6 Hours)
Our trek initially is over a flat terrain which leads to a steep ascent taking us to Purfi La. Purfi La is at an altitude of 3600 meters. It will be slightly difficult reaching the pass but we can manage our pace as we have enough time to reach Snertse.
Day 9: Snertse to Hanuma La to Lingshed (Trek 7-8 Hours)
It will be a long day today. Through a long but gradual ascend, we will make our way to Hanuma La through a gorge. The views from the top of the pass are truly breath taking. It will take close to 7-8 hours to get to Lingshed.
Day 10: Lingshed to Singge La Campsite (Trek 7-8 Hours)
Another long but gradual ascend will bring us to Netuke La. On the top of the pass, we will have beautiful views of Nierag Valley. The descend will bring us to the villages of Gongma and Skimpata leading us to another pass called the Kyupa La. It will be a tiring day, but it will offer some of the most scenic views today.
Day 11: Singge La Campsite to Singge La to Photoksar (Trek 7-8 hours)
We will cross the highest pass on the trek today, Singge La. It will take about 2 hours for us to get to the Singge La. Singge La in the local language means the Lion’s mouth. Through the barley fields we will descend towards Photoksar.
Day 12: Photoksar to Sirsir La to Hanupatta (Trek 7-8 Hours)
We will trek towards Hanupatta, which will be our campsite for the day. It will take about 7 hours to get to Hanupatta via Sirsir La. The ascend is steep towards the Sirsir La but the descend is gradual.
Day 13: Hanupatta to Wanla (Trek 6 Hours)
Our destination today is famous for its small Monastery that we will get to explore. Through Panjila Pass, we descend and make our way to Wanla.
Day 14: Wanla to Lamayuru (Trek 5 Hours)
We will get to visit a 16th century Monastery today. The Lamayuru Monastery is extremely famous for its century old wall paintings and is frequented by many tourists. We will board our vehicles from here and drive back to Leh.
1) Meals – All the meals on the trek. Breakfast and Dinner while in Leh
2) Accommodation – 2 nights before the trek and 1 night after the trek in a hotel in Leh
3) Drive - Leh to Kargil on day 3 and Padum on day 4. From Lamayuru to Leh on day 14
4) Camping on double/ triple sharing basis
5) A certified wilderness first aid responder and a qualified skilled mountaineer as the trek leader.
6) All our guides are professionally trained and have many years of relevant experience in guiding treks.
7) Clean sleeping bags
8) Camping Mattresses
9) 2 Toilet Tents – clean and hygienic (generally separate for males and females)
10) First aid medical kit with medical assistance for the trekkers
11) Oxygen cylinder with oxy meter for a close daily check-up
1) Service tax 5% (as per the current in GST)
2) Lunch on the acclimatization days
3) Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag
4) Any meals/services not mentioned above
5) Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
6) Any Medical Insurance/Permissions/Permits/Check-ups
7) Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
8) Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
9) Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.