Sandakphu is one of the highest points in West Bengal. With approx. 55kms of trekking in 7 days, we get enough to see some of the worlds tallest mountains – (Mt. Everest, kangchendzonga, Makalu and Lhotse). The route takes us through the Singalila National Park that offers a variety of flora and fauna. Singalila National park is also home to Red pandas. They are very shy creatures hence spotting them is very rare.
We get amazing views all throughout the trek. This trek offers camping as well as homestay. Graded as a moderate trek, this is one of the best treks to do, getting close to these gigantic mountain peaks.
Day 1. NJP/ Bagdogra to Jaubari Base camp (110kms/ 6hours) (300 feet – 6500 feet)
It takes us 5 to 6 hours to cover this distance of 110kms. These are mountain roads and will be passing through tea estates and villages. We stop for lunch on the way and continue our drive to Jaubari. We reach by 4pm. Post evening tea and snacks we will conduct a team briefing and ensure everyone is aware of the Route / Trek Plan and do’s and don’ts for the trek.
Day 2. Jaubari to Gairi Bas (20kms drive) and trek to Chori Chok (8kms) (7,040 feet – 8,340 feet – 10, 400 feet)
After breakfast, we start our drive to Gairi Bas. It is a total of 20kms however it still takes us an hour to get to. On reaching Gairi Bas, we start our 8kms trek to Chori Chok. We trek through the villages across the trail to reach Chori chok. This site generally has less trekkers/ tourists and should be perfect for camping.
Day 3. Chori Chok to Sandakphu (5kms) (10,400 feet – 11,980 feet)
We start our trek towards Sandakphu today. It has patches of steep climbs, with beautiful views.We continue trekking to get to the summit viewpoint. From here we can see (on a clear day) Makalu, Lhotse, Everest, Nuptse, Machapuchhare and Annapurna range, Chamling and a few more. The sleeping Budha (formation of these ranges) should be clearly visible on days with clear skies.
Day 4. Sandakphu to Thukum (7kms) (11,980 feet – 11,500 feet)
For Sandakphu to Thukum, we cover 7 kms in 4 hours. Thukum has vast stretches of flat lands and meadows that puts us right in the laps of nature. In the evening, we step out for a short hike to a vantage point from where we can see the entire village.
Day 5. Thukum to Phalut (14kms) (11,500 feet – 11,880 feet)
Today we will trek for 14 kms and hence we must start early in the day. We get the views of the mighty kangchenzonga on our route. We will reach Phalut just before evening and the camping / stay site is one of the most scenic sites on the trek. Weather permitting, the campsite will be covered in clouds late evening and early mornings.
Day 6. Phalut to Upper Sri Khola (17kms) (11,880 feet – 7,900 feet)
We have steep descents to trek through today. We will descend about 3500 feet altitude and enter into Sri Khola. It would take us 6 to 7 hours to cover this distance. We spend the night in a homestay / hotel in Sri Khola.
Later in the evening, we have a team briefing with the closing ceremony here itself.
Day 7. Upper Sri Khola to Sri Khola trek 5km descend and drive to NJP/ Bagdogra (130kms/ 6 hours)
Today is going to be a long day, hence we start as early as possible. We have a trek of 5kms which has steep descends. We reach Sri Khola by noon and post lunch we drive down to NJP/ Baghdogra.
You can choose to either stay the night and travel the next day, or plan for your travel the same night.
Total trek distance – 55 to 58kms (including acclimatization walks)
1. Meals - All the meals from Jaubari to Sri Khola
2. Accommodation – Jaubari to Sri Khola: camping / tea house on double / triple sharing basis
3. Oxygen cylinder with oxy meter for a close daily check-up
4. A guide and an experienced and certified skilled mountaineer as the trek leader
5. Clean sleeping bags & Camping Mattresses
6. Toilets – clean and hygienic (traditional cat pit style) while camping
7. Camping & trekking permits and permissions from the local administrations/ authorities
1. Service tax 5% (as per the current in GST)
2. Transport – NJP/ Bagdogra to Jaubari on Day 1 and Sri Khola to NJP/ Bagdogra on Day 7
3. Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bags/ offloads
4. Any meals/services not mentioned above
5. Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
6. Travel/ trek Insurance
7. Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
8. Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
9. Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.