Kareri lake trek is a glacial, shallow freshwater lake amidst the beautiful Dhauladhar range situated at an altitude of 10,500 feet. For people who want to experience high altitude in a span of 3 days and 2 nights, this is the trek for them. Graded as a moderate level trek, this trek hikes through alpine forests of Fir and Oaks. Rhododenrdron (also known as Burans) flowers are also spotted well on this trek.
Day 1 – Arrival in Dharamshala and drive to Kareri village (27kms, 1 hour 30mins)
Reach Dharamshala early morning and drive towards Kareri village. We cover this drive of 27kms in about an hour and 30mins. Check into pre booked homestay.
All meals will be provided at the homestay. Trekkers are free for an evening stroll around the village. Team Briefing for the trek will be done in the evening.
Day 2 – Kareri village to Kareri Lake (14kms / 5-6hours)
Post an early breakfast we will start for the trek. We carry our packed lunch for the day. We start the trek over a straight route followed by a steep ascend right next to the flowing Nyung river. There trek comprises of steady ascends and descends. It will take us about 5 to 6 hours to reach the lake.
Kareri lake is a beautiful trek with wonderful views around. This location is still not commercialized which means only a handful of people are seen on this trek. Trekking 20mins towards the right of the lake is a beautiful patch of land termed as – Gajj. We can explore the area later in the evening. There is a small Shiva temple close to the lake which can also be done the same evening or next early morning before heading back down to the Kareri village.
We will be camping overnight.
Day 3 – Kareri lake to Kareri village and drive to Dharamshala (13kms trek/ 5 hours and 27kms/ 1hour 30mins)
We can start our day early visiting the Shiva temple and return for breakfast at our campsite. Post breakfast we wind up our tents and trek back down to Kareri village and have lunch. Post lunch we have a closing ceremony and drive you back to Dharamshala, until next time.
- Meals will be provided starting with Lunch on Day 1 till Lunch for Day 3.
- Transport – Pick up from Dharamshala to Kareri village on Day 1 & drop back to Dharamshala on Day 3.
- Accommodation – 1 night in a home stay in Kareri village and camping 1 night at Kareri lake
- 1 guide for a group of maximum 06-08 trekkers. Our guides are professionally trained and have many years of relevant experience in guiding treks.
- Clean sleeping bags
- Camping mattresses
- Toilet tent – 1 clean and hygienic toilet tent while camping (cat pit style)
- First aid medical kit with medical assistance for the trekkers
- Camping and trekking permits and permissions from the local administrations
- Service tax 5% (as per the current in GST)
- Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
- Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.
- Any meals/services not mentioned above