One the moderate to difficult level treks based in Sikkim, this trek gives you some of the best views of Mt. Kanchenjunga. The trek starts and ends in Yuksom in Sikkim which is easily reachable from Bagdogra Airport and NJP Railway Station. Autumn season (September to November) is the best time to go on this trek as the sky is clear for some beautiful views of various peaks throughout the trek.
Day 1: Reach Yuksom from Bagdogra Airport / NJP Railway Station
Drive distance: 160 km, Drive time: 6-8 hours
Day 2: Yuksom to Sachen
Trek distance: 7.60 km | Duration: 5 hours, Altitude gain: 5,715 ft to 7,159 ft Today will be the first day of the trek and probably the most gradual climb for the entire trek. We will be trekking along the Rathong river and dense rhododendron forests. Overall, this will take us 5 hours to cover the distance. We will have packed lunch on the way.
Day 3: Sachen to Tshoka
Trek distance: 6.50 km | Duration: 5 hours, Altitude gain: 7,159 ft to 9,698 ft Our trek today will take us to Tshoka, situated at approximately 9000 ft. On a clear day you will be able to see Mt. Pandim and Mt. Kanchenjunga. On way we will also cross Prek Chu River and thick rhododendron forests. We will pass Bakhim on the way, where you can see a lot of small huts / stores etc. You can sit for some chai / snacks as well.
Day 4: Tshoka to Dzongri via Phedang
Trek distance: 9 km | Duration: 6-7 hours, Altitude gain: 9,698 ft to 13,077 ft via 11,919 ft Today we will trek uphill to Dzongri top where we will setup our camps. It will be a demanding trek and path will get rocky as we progress. Today will be one of the most scenic days of the trek as we pass through Phedang. Dzongri will give you one of the best views of Mt. Kanchenjunga.
Day 5: Acclimatization Day. Dzongri to Dzongri Top and back to Dzongri
Trek distance: 1.80 km | Duration: 3 hours, Altitude gain: 13,077 ft to 13,543 ft Today will be more of a relaxing day. Yesterday’s trek was strenuous and it would be a good break before we start going back. From the Dzongri top you will have clear views for many peaks – North and South Kabru, Mt. Pandim, Mt. Kanchenjunga, Koktang etc. We can wake up early and make the trek up to Dzongri top to see the sunrise as well.
Day 6: Dzongri to Thansing via Kokchurang
Trek distance: 6.50 km | Duration: 6 hours, Altitude loss: 13,077 ft to 12,802 ft via 12,156 ft From Dzongri, we will start our decend back to the to the starting point (in phases). The route has ascend and descends and takes us through some dense forests. Today camping site is on the foot of Mt. Pandim. We will start our trek early to ensure we reach the campsite by lunch time and use the rest of the day to relax.
Day 7: Thansing to Goechala View Point via Samiti Lake to Lamuney, back to Thansing
Trek distance: 16 km | Duration: 12-14 hours, Altitude gain: 12,802 ft to 15,079 ft via 14,105 ft One of the longest days on the trek, today we will start early morning trek to the viewpoint of Goechala Trek. This specific place will give you the most holistic view of Mt. Kanchenjunga. We will reach this point after crossing the pristine lake called, Samiti Lake.
Day 8: Thansing to Tshoka
Trek distance: 15 km | Duration: 7 hours, Altitude loss: 12,802 ft to 9,698 ft Today we will retrace our route from Thansing to Tshoka. Overall it will be a moderate level trek and take us about 7 hours to cover. We will take lunch break at Phedang.
Day 9: Tshoka to Yuksom
Trek distance: 14 km | Duration: 7 hours, Altitude loss: 9,698 ft to 5,715 ft Today we will be descending and crossing the Prek Chu river and arriving at Yuksom. Here we will check in at a guesthouse and relax. Today will be the last night the hills for this trek and we will be completing the closing ceremony as well.
Day 10: Drive from Yuksom to NJP Railway Station / Bagdogra Airport
1. Meals – All the meals on the trek. Breakfast and Dinner while in Leh
2. Camping on double/ triple sharing basis
3. A certified wilderness first aid responder and a qualified skilled mountaineer as the trek leader
4. 1 guide for a group of maximum 12-14 trekkers. All our guides are professionally trained and have many years of relevant experience in guiding treks.
5. Clean sleeping bags
6. Camping Mattresses
7. Toilet Tents – clean and hygienic (generally separate for males and females)
8. First aid medical kit with medical assistance for the trekkers
9. Oxygen cylinder with oxy meter for a close daily check-up
1. Transport from NJP / Bagdogra to Yuksom and back.
2. Service tax 5% (as per the current in GST)
3. Lunch on the acclimatization days
4. Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag
5. Any meals/services not mentioned above
6. Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, roadblocks, bad weather, etc.
7. Any Medical Insurance/Permissions/Permits/Check-ups
8. Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
9. Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
10. Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.